Friday, November 24

Thanksgiving: a reflection (Viente y cuatro)

My juices of the creative kind are no where near as plentiful as the turkey I religiously basted every half hour for 5 1/2 hours yesterday.



Before basting, I loosened the skin of the bird to rub the spices under and over the skin.



It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

I've never been so intimate with a carcass anyone ever before. The Obtaining of the Jiblets was by far the most undesirable act I've ever committed. Although once boiled, Chloe totally appreciated the treat.



Not to mention fisting the poor fella, only to leave a handful of spices and veggies behind.

Well worth it, though.



Thanks for your presence and of course all your help, Mom and Dad.




And thanks to Sue who guided me through the brining and rubbing and fisting.

2 comments:

JVinlove said...

I am a convert. I NO LONGER BASTE! As far as the Energy Conserving Taibers, opening your oven 10 times during the roasting process does not make for an efficient heating process. I read that it only penetrates 1/8 inch below the skin. I did use the foil tent to keep the breast moist, which was successful. I'm glad you enjoyed T-Day!

Julie said...

nice pics! gobble gobble!