Wednesday, March 24

A memory from the Magic Kingdom

Spring break was spent in Anaheim, California californicating with various Disney characters and riding the dozens of memorable rides between California Adventure and Disneyland, all while melting in 90 degree heat. My kids were beSIDE themselves. Especially Egan as he observed Mary Poppins and Burt, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Buzz Lightyear, Woody...THEN, the creme de la creme was when PINNOCHIO! ASKED! ME! TO! DANCE!! You know, at the end-of-the-day CELEBRATE YOU! parade.

Earlier that day we had been treated to the front of the line at the Matterhorn, a coupon for a front of the line pass on ANY RIDE! in ALL OF THE MAGIC KINGDOM!, and a receipt for the sword Egan carelessly lost while on Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Wild indeed, all sword losing and stuff. Apparently the employees at Disneyland are there to not only make our day magical but also spoil us rotten. As Egan and I climbed out of our car from the ride, Egan began sobbing when realizing he had lost his sword.

Appearing swiftly at my side was Jen, the superfriendly, superconcerned employee. I explained that Egan had lost his sword while on the ride. Jen insisted on having the ride STOPPED! so she could go through and recover Egan's damned $5-shoulda-been-$.50 sword. She explained various scenarios for getting the sword, saying stuff about it only taking 7 minutes despite all those people still waiting in the 20 minute line. After Jen assured me they stop rides all the time, I thanked her for her efforts while declining the need to force all these people waiting in line FOR A FUCKING SWORD.

Just then, Allie walks toward Egan arm outstretched, "Egan, you can have my sword."

I think that's what sold Jen on how remarkably awesome we all were. Flash forward to our celebrity treatment AND Honorary Citizens of Disneyland buttons. The way my kids reacted, you would have thought we were handed a key to the city.

1 comment:

Kathy, Todd, Veda, Adele and Winston said...

I love this story! Emily you so deserve celebrity treatment. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to feel the magic. Makes me all warm and fuzzy to know you were celebrating just a short hour from us!